Every Mella product has been tested for:
- Product performance: We iterate and thoroughly evaluate every formula to ensure it does what we say it will do. Not only do we test for performance internally, we also recruit a diverse external panel of testers relevant for each product to provide feedback before its launch. If you’re interested in becoming a Veriant panelist, click here.
- Formula stability: In this test, we’re looking for changes in viscosity, color, scent, weight, and active ingredient levels throughout the product’s 2-year shelf life.
- Packaging compatibility: We do this test to make sure the formula and packaging get along; that the formula doesn’t degrade the packaging and vice versa. During this test, we also ensure that the packaging functions as it’s supposed to all the way through the product’s lifecycle.
- Preservative efficacy: When we use preservatives, it’s to protect you and our products from pathogenic bacteria. (Some waterless formulas don’t need preservatives, but all others do.) PET (preservative efficacy testing) makes sure our preservative system successfully prevents contamination throughout the product’s life.
- Skin safety: We conduct HRIPT (human repeat insult patch testing) on all Mella products. In this test, our formula is repeatedly applied to a patch of skin on each of at least 30 consenting, paid volunteers over the course of at least 3 weeks. This is done in a clinical environment and is overseen by a dermatologist, who evaluates the results each week to determine if the formula causes irritation. Successful HRIPT substantiates claims such as “safe for sensitive skin” and “dermatologist tested.” We always ensure our HRIPT panels are diverse in terms of gender, age, race, and skin type, so we can be confident the results are relevant to all of our customers.
- Batch micro: During each production, we conduct microbial testing to make sure the batches have no signs of bacterial growth.